Question for you: What’s your email address? Ok, you don’t have to share it with us but do take a look. Are you using a Gmail or Hotmail address for business? What impression do you think it gives potential customers?
Use Your Domain Name
Even if you don’t have a website yet, business customers are going to have to get in touch with you. You can buy your own domain and have your email set up in about 15 minutes. This will create not only an air of professionalism but your new email address will be more memorable than something that Gmail can generate or offer to you.
You can search for available domain names via a number of webhosting companies including:
Make sure you pick either a .com or .co.uk domain for a memorable email address.
How to Format Your Email Address
Now that you have a dedicated domain name, for example “bananadramalondon.co.uk”, you need to pick a professional username to go as a prefix. Pick from one of the following:
- First name only – perfect for small businesses, although as you grow you may need to change the format
- First name, last initial – keeps the privacy of the email address owner and allows for those with the same first name to work in the same business
- First initial, last name – Great for larger companies as there is less chance of duplication. The downside is that if you wish to remain anonymous then don’t provide your first name in your email signature
- Full name – This option is popular with executives and is a memorable format
Special Email Addresses for Your Website
Always create a generic email address for displaying on your website. It not only looks professional, gives the impression of being a larger business but reduces the amount of spam going to your personal email address.
When to Use a Gmail Email Address
We’re not saying never have a Gmail address because there are going to be certain scenarios when using one is more advisable. Are you planning on using social media to market your business? If so, our social media team advise creating a Gmail account for this purpose. With a Gmail account you can do the following:
- Set up and manage Google Analytics – important to seeing statistics about your website
- Set up and manage Google My Business – you will be able to respond to reviews, update your Google Local listing plus many other features
- Use the email address for Twitter and Instagram logins
If you are thinking of setting up a business, rebranding or have any other questions about emails, do get in touch on [email protected].