February 6th 2018 is Safer Internet Day. Predominantly aimed at young people, schools, parents and carers, we are all invited to join in using #ItStartsWithUs. This year’s campaign encourages everyone to play their part in building a better internet.
We first got involved last year when we united for a better internet. We shared our five tips for families to stay safe online which included talking to your children about online safety, installing parental control software and using antivirus software.
Businesses Staying Safe Online
Our expertise is around supporting local business in their IT needs in North London. We use our blog and social media to generate awareness on:
- the latest security alerts like last October’s “Krack Attack” which affected Wi-Fi networks
- upgrading your website from HTTP to HTTPS
- how to best prevent a cyber attack
- the pros and cons with smart speakers and virtual assistants (Alexa, Siri etc)
- the importance of passwords
Our various IT support packages can give you peace of mind that your computers, software and data are being looked after.
Young People Staying Safe Online
At this time of year, many schools are running E-Safety workshops for parents. There are many resources to look at but our favourites are:
- CEOP’s (Child Exploitation and Online Protection command) Think You Know website – it is clear, easy to use and offers advice in bite-size chunks
- UK Safer Internet (behind the Safer Internet Day campaigns)
Here are also some E-Safety tips for parents:
- Have a go at some of the technologies your child enjoys – get them to show you how it works
- Talk to your peers to find out how they help their children navigate the digital world
- Know what connects to the internet and how – is it just the ipad or how about your tv? Are you piggybacking on your neighbour’s Wi-Fi or is it a secure connection?
If you are a business in North London then we’d love to talk to you about how we can keep you safe online 0800 756 1400.